Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Feaking Out and Laughing Like Crazy

I have always said that one thing I wanted to strive for in parenting is to keep the lines of communication flowing between me and the kids. I want us to be able to talk about anything and everything. I want to be the one who explains the big life lessons, the hard questions, and the life changing decisions that come their way.


I was slapped in the face with one of these instances and I flat out panicked. OH MY FREAKING GOODNESS!!!!


All I have to say is that I am thankful for my husband. He is a rock star in this area and I give him all credit for handling it so perfectly! I have no idea how he just knows how to talk to his girls, I definitely took notes this time around!


Which brings us to the topic at hand, Abby's letter.

"Don't wear the cowboy belt any more or I will stop being your girlfriend, I will like you if you loose the cowboy stuff."

 "Please answer the questions I give you." (haha, a girl after my own heart).


The scratched out parts are the best, "I get sad when I here this crap, it's not a bad word."
"Meet me at the Swirly slide!"
"It's all about love!" (She totally stole that one from her sister).

I was so thankful when she decided to share this with us. She didn't have to and confirmed we must be doing something right... whew!!  For a few moments I was patting myself on the back for a job well done! Then I read the letter. The rest of the pats go to Erik.

After we read the letter alone we called Abby up to talk about it. I kept quiet most of the time. One, because I felt like I would burst out in laughter if I opened my mouth. And two, because I honestly didn't know what to say. Is this stage of life already happening? What the frick!? She's only eight for goodness sake. Was I into boys at her age? No.


She was so cute talking to us about the whole thing. A few times I had to look at the wall and hide my face behind a couch pillow so she wouldn't see me laughing. "Meet me at the swirly slide, "OH MY GOODNESS, BAHAHAHA!!! 


I hope next time I'll be the one playing it cool, but I do have to give this one to Erik!

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Oh man. I need to know what your husband said, because I have no idea what I would have done or said if I found that or it was brought to me, my 5yo is growing too fast, I dont look forward to those days.

    But, you and your husband are great for making sure you have those open lines of cummunication

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember exactly, but he was so good about asking lots of questions and made sure she didn't feel like she did anything wrong, (except for breaking the school rules of no note passing). I remember thinking as I was listening to him talk how well he was wording everything to her, just really sweet. He was making sure the conversation stayed as innocent as it was, not really making a big deal of it. But, still making sure she understood we were here for her!

      Delete
  2. That is a precious story! How cute!
    I am now following your blog :)
    http://angelicragect.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete